Eli and Sophia

Monday, March 19, 2012

"Broadsliding"



In the late 40's, in Myrtle Point, Oregon, we had a “tough” group of kids in the immediate neighborhood (see Sunday, March 4th blog entry). I think it was while I was in vacation bible school one summer, that things may have gotten a little “Western,” as C.J. Box describes in his novels about a game warden in Wyoming. It was rumored that while playing 'Cowboys & Indians, at least one time, the female “captives” were subjected to “'torture” (tied to a tree & kissed).
Something around 15 years later, when I was a senior in high school in Florence, I went back to Myrtle Point and dated what may have been one of these “tortured captives.”
Siuslaw competed with Myrtle Point in sports like football, and a Myrtle Point acquaintance, Ted,  & I reunited and became friends. I would visit him some weekends; we would double date, etc.
Ted owned the 1940 Ford (shown above), and when double dating, (at least once), we drove it out to Bridge - 11 miles, to pick up his date, Mary Ellen. Ted's bedroom wall was “papered” with traffic violations, and he didn't seem to care. On the way to Bridge, Ted seemed obsessed with “broadsliding” around the corners, to the point where I started to worry about my (our) safety. I finally slid over to the middle position on the front bench seat, such that he couldn't shift (& “power”) into and out of the corners.
     The “MP” (Myrtle Point) girl I was dating (driving the boat in the picture above), worked at the Dairy Queen, and we would go out after she got off and had a chance to change out of her work clothes.
     The 'MP' girl, Ted, & I all entered the Uof O in the fall of 1958. I pledged to Theta Chi; Ted became an 'Independent;' and (my?) MPgirl lost interest in college after the first year; got married, and (most likely) started a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment