Remember when our mom's told us not to run while carrying a sharp object? Here is why!
Photographs show a boy whose nose has been impaled with a fork.
In July 2007 we began receiving photographs, without any explanatory text, that presumably documented the case of a young boy who somehow managed to impale his nose with a fork, with the first picture (taken in an emergency room or doctor’s office) showing him before medical treatment, and the second showing him some time later after the fork had been removed and his injury had begun to heal:
Mom said don’t run with scissors … but didn’t mention a fork.
We managed to get in touch with the boy’s mother, who confirmed for us that those presumptions were correct:
It’s real. Happened July 11th in Minneapolis at a chinese buffet restaurant. He was climbing into the booth and fell while holding his fork in his hand. When the waiter picked him up from under the table the fork was through his nose. There was only a little blood because the fork tines missed all of the cartilage in his nose (Thank God). The one picture is from the ER and the other picture is two days later at home. The ER doctor and ENT doctor we saw the following day said that they had never seen this before and that we were pretty lucky that the fork went up and out through his nose. We saved the fork and this picture for him to see when he gets older. We emailed the pics to our family, coworkers and friends and now they are all over the internet. Live and learn I guess.
To: David Sampson; srsampson; Eric Sampson; Geoff Sampson; Sampson; Arnold Sampson
Subject: Re: Huh?
Subject: Re: Huh?
Lucky it wasn't his eyeball (s)!
On Aug 14, 2017, at 6:39 PM, susan sampson <email@example.com> wrote:
Then there is the family lore, for the website if I haven’t posted it already, together with Sam and Dave’s encounter with a choking jawbreaker. In my son Brook’s case, as a toddler, he developed horrible bad breath; I could smell him from across the room. I checked the good ole Doctor Spock book of child and baby care, which advised that if a child has bad breath, you should check for an obstacle in his nose. I looked; his nose was totally blocked. Off we went to the pediatrician, who couldn’t remove the obstacle. He sent me home with instructions to squirt water in Brook’s nose repeatedly, then bring him back the next day. The doctor explained that water squirted into the nose will just go down the throat into the stomach, and cause no problems. Brook wasn’t going along with the program, so I had to wrestle him to the floor, sit on him to hold him still, and squirt salt water into his nose. The next day, the pediatrician told me to hold Brook firmly so he could go after the obstacle with the medical equivalent of a crochet hook. I wrapped my arms around Brook and clasped tight. “That’s great,” the doctor said, “but you’ve trapped my hand, too.” He put Brook in a straight jacket, and removed a big hunk of walnut meat from his nose.
The doctor said it wasn’t the worse he’d ever seen—a little girl had inhaled artificial hair from a doll. The hair had microscopic barbs that imbedded the hair into the child’s flesh.
My other son Eric is now raising three boys aged 8, 5, and 2. It’s gotta be scary. SueS
Samuel R. Sampson wrote:
Wow, Legos, walnuts and jaw-breakers...what fun, what a family and in the inimitable words of Yakov Smirnoff, what a country!
Eric Martin wrote
Yep, Alison has a strong fear of the boys running with sharp things. I'm not showing her this email.
I had to take Gil to the emergency room when he got a LEGO stuck in his nose and became hysterical. Fortunately he finally blew it out in the ER parking lot and was immediately fine (and insisted that I save the LEGO).
Brook Martin says: That picture is awful.
I still contend that my brother Eric shoved the walnut up my nose.
Sue Sampson asks: How in the world did he get a Leggo in his nose? Sort of like your brother got a walnut?
Eric says: No way, walnut boy. The secret is that this happened when Alison was out of town, Mac was a newborn and napping, and I totally forgot about him & left him at home when I loaded Vake and Gil into the truck to go to the ER.