Eli and Sophia

Saturday, May 9, 2015

David Remembers the End of WW II


On Sunday, June 22, 2014 2:49 PM, Dave Sampson <Davidsampsonatbearcreek@msn.com> wrote:


You may know that it is my birthday today; what you don’t know is what was going on the day I was being born, a day which my mother used to proclaim was “the longest day in human history!”

ON THIS DAY

On June 22, 1940, during World War II, Adolf Hitler gained a stunning victory as France was forced to sign an armistice eight days after German forces overran Paris.
Dave
Susan Buckhart asks: Well Happy Birthday! Hope you're doing something fun - playing golf at your beautiful country club? You're close to Sue's birthday - she shares the day with my dad as well. I've just started reading "Americans in Paris' by Charles Glass so I'm right there in 1940. What's your first memory? Were you aware of the war when you were a little one?

Hi Susan,
I am not sure of my first memory, but among the first is the movie tone reel which had General MacArthur returning to the Philippines.  I watched it in an old theater in Coos Bay named the Noble Theater – it is no longer there – with my mom and some neighbors on a Saturday Morning sometime in 1944-5.  We would go to the Noble every Saturday AM as they would have cartoons and westerns for the kids until around noon, and then the movie tone programs would come on.  One distinct memory I have of that time is that whenever the American troops were shown doing something, shooting down planes or sinking ships or whatever, all the adults would break out cheering and clapping, frequently crying.  It was about the only way I could at that age distinguish the movies with the Durango kid shooting Indians or bad guys from the reality represented in the movie tone segments.  They were the same black and white type of films with the graininess you might expect, but the adults reactions were so overwhelmingly different that I got the clear idea that it was real and our guys were the good guys defeating some evil enemy.
I even more clearly remember the end of the war.  I can still recall every horn in Coos Bay honking frantically and every whistle in every mill going off simultaneously, my mom and her friends crying and hugging one another and being told Dad would be home soon now that the war was over.
My dad was among the first soldiers released in World War II.  He was 35 when he enlisted and I had been born in 1940.  After he went into the Army, he was almost immediately transferred to the Navy and became a Navy Pilot and an Officer as he was already a licensed pilot before the war.  As a result, he was assigned to a group of pilot instructors and spent the entire war serving in that capacity, ending up as the Commanding Officer of a pilot training group of some kind.  When he realized the War was going to be ending sometime perhaps as early as 1945, he applied for an early hardship discharge as my brother Arnold had been born in 1943 and he had a wife, 2 kids, and a business that my mom was laboring to run in his absence.  As a result, he was on the first troop train that arrived in Coos Bay – it was sometime in September, 1945, I think, as it was sunny and warm with blue skies.  He was also the highest ranking member of any soldier arriving in Coos Bay that day, and I remember a parade ending up in front of City Hall where the mayor and others spoke to literally the entire population of Coos Bay.  I was directly across the street from where they spoke on the second floor outside balcony of the apartment which my dad’s best friend from high school lived (Bob Downer was his name).  As the highest ranking dischargee, my dad spoke to the crowd thanking them for the welcome, etc.  The cheering, tickertape, and so forth was overwhelming to me at the time as I was only 5 years and 3 months old.  It was really something; I didn’t fully understand all that was going on of course; all I really realized was that my daddy was home to stay.
Dave
Dave and Susan, Sam spent considerable effort checking out the archives of the old Coos Bay Times, seeing if a story about Uncle Gene’s end-of-war speech might have been run, but found no report.SueS
Sue,
It is Coos Bay World.  It might have been the Times then; I don’t recall.  I don’t know about a story about his speech, but I was there, watching from the balcony of Bob Downer’s Apartment, right across the street.
I should probably have added something about when the troop train arrived.  Dad led the troops off the train and onto the station deck; I broke lose from my mom waiting at the other end of the deck and raced down to Dad and jumped into his arms.  Somebody took a picture of Dad holding me in his arms and that appeared in something or at least somewhere as I saw it in later years.  Sam might remember that photo; I believe it was the only one which was ever taken of Dad in his uniform and me. Dave

 
What a great story - I've love hearing all of this. I remember asking my mom what she remembered about WWII - she was 11 years old in 1940 and grew up in Calistoga in the Napa Valley and she really just remembered black outs - turning off the lights and pulling dark shades over the windows. Your dad's story is fascinating - I had no idea of his history. So a few questions. Why did he have his pilots license? Was it just a hobby? And, what kind of business did he run before going off? Thanks for taking the time to write this - it's really wonderful hearing about the family history. [Susan Buckhart]
Dad got his pilots license primarily because he went to the University of Washington to obtain a degree in Aeronautical Engineering.  He spent his first year, 1923-4 school year, at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington primarily because one of his high school teachers became an instructor there and he was able to guarantee cheap rent!  He graduated from High School when he was 16, worked for most of a year as a logger, saved his money and then took off for Whitman.  That was the only year he was able to go full-time for the entire year.  After that it was pretty much work 6-8 months, and then go to college at the Univ. of Washington for four months.  When the Great Depression hit in October, 1929, his college education was abruptly ended.  He had about 2 semesters to go to become an Aeronautical Engineer and would probably have gone to work for Boeing.  He once told me he knew Bill Boeing casually from that time before the depression.  I thought Dad had learned to fly at Boeing Field in Seattle which was built in 1928 during his last year in school.  Sam told me, however, that Dad learned to fly in Coos Bay out of North Bend Airport; I am not sure which is correct.
The business he owned was a beer and bar supplies distribution business.  After the depression hit, he was unable to find work in the woods – they were basically shut down as nobody was doing much building; hence to timber logging and milling – and ended up sometime in the early 1930’s as a Forest Ranger in California and Nevada.  He became the head ranger at one of the Ranger Stations where fire-fighting was a big part of their activity.  He returned to Coos Bay sometime in the mid-1930’s and found a job as a driver for a guy who had a small distributorship; he was getting along in years and in those days Keg Beer came in 1/2 barrels which weighed 170 plus pounds and were cumbersome as Hell.  Shortly after he went to work there, his boss decided to retire and offered to sell the business to my dad, sometime around 1937.  He didn’t have any money and got the money for the down payment from his mother who had somehow squirreled away something like $850 in cash which he borrowed.  He did quite well by being driver and owner and salesman, etc.  When he and my mom got together, she became the bookkeeper and they were doing fine when I came along in June 1940, and then the war hit 1.5 years later.  After the war – which mom kept together somehow during the 3 1/2 years dad was in the service – the business exploded in the year-long party which immediately followed WW II, and by the end of it, my Dad was wealthy.  For the better part of a year, he sold every bottle and keg of beer drank on the Oregon Coast from Florence to California.  Only about 100,000 or so people, but they drank a lot of beer!  He ended up with 6 trucks, 2 pick—ups, and a station wagon; when he got out of the Navy, they only had one small beer truck which was on its last legs. Dave

Sue,
Dad told me that he took flying lessons at the original airport in Eastside...this of course must have preceded the construction of the new airport in North Bend.  Most of which corroborates Dave's recounting of events.  However, I don't believe Dad and Mom became wealthy in one year after the war...the decade of the 50's was their heyday.  The decline began in the 60's when the distributors got caught in the hard place between the breweries and the retailers made worse by the interference of the OLCC.  The profit margins became severely eroded and Dad lost his zeal for the business.  By the time I got back from my year in Europe, Dad and Mom had sold the business to the Klessigs and retired.  This milestone was decided in part by the fact that they had reached the status of "millionaire" by then, an achievement they both considered sufficient. Sam
 





No comments:

Post a Comment