Eli and Sophia

Saturday, January 3, 2015

This Old House, Comedy of Errors Edition



 

After 2 1/2 years of maintaining my 1800-built home, one important lesson I've learned is to  expect a project - no matter how small - always to take at least twice as long as I think it would. My project today was simple enough in concept: The handle on the shower door needed attention.  My showers were added when I first remodeled the bathrooms before I moved into the home.  The handles on the showers were metal alloy with a metallic silver coat.  Yeah, admittedly kind of chintzy - but the remodel went so over budget that I was happy at the time.
Over the last couple of weeks the metallic coat was peeling off of the handles.  With another cold front moving in, I decided this was a good indoor project.  I carefully removed the tiny Allen bolts that held the inside handle in place.  So far so good, until problem #1: I dropped one of the bolts and it immediately found the drain. 
I taped over the drain to prevent it from happening again.  Then problem #2: I proceeded, only to discover that that handle attachment would simply not come off after I'd removed the Allen bolts.  Apparently the handle had developed enough rust on the inside to weld it in place. I simply could not dislodge the handle without breaking the glass shower door. 
No problem, I thought, I'll just repaint the metallic coat on the handle while it is still attached.  Problem #3: I diligently placed painter's tape all around fixture.  Using matching spray paint I found at Home Depot, I blasted the handle.  The paint quickly dribbled down the glass shower door and splattered all over the inside of the shower.  Shit.  I grabbed a sponge and started scrubbing off the paint splatter from the shower floor before it totally set.
Problem #4: While on hand and knees, scrubbing the spattered paint with great intensity before it it dried, I didn't realize that my head was leaning perilously on the handle fixture that I had just spray- painted.
Problem #5: The paint build-up made re-affixing the Allen bolts (those not lost) tougher to insert, but I think I made it work after slamming a couple knuckles.

So, at the cost of a few strands of metallic coated hair, a swollen knuckle, and an hour of wasted life, I now have a semi-decent shower door that is not flaking paint.  But I am left thinking that there must be something to walk-in showers!
Brook

No comments:

Post a Comment