Eli and Sophia

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Jon and the Army's Modern Pentathalon



     During my last 4-year assignment in the Army, and beyond dealing with having to replace my ex-marine secretary, & type letters of commendation for our athletes - to be signed by the Army Chief of Staff, I had to deal with other “alligators” such as the Modern Pentathlon Training Center.
     The Army may have “taken” responsibility for this facility because George Patton was a pentathlete before the Second World War. The modern pentathlon consists of riding, swimming, running, shooting, & fencing (as distinguished from the Olympic pentathalon, consisting of running, wrestling, long jump, javelin and discus). The various activities represent the trials of a courier (possibly for the ancient Greeks), in the process of delivering a message.
     Anyway, the USMPTC during my time in the job was at Fort Sam Houston, TX, and, for us at HQ, Department of the Army, was a pain in the A..!
     For example, horse lovers would donate their “loved ones” to the Center, to become part of the riding competition, and the next thing I knew, the horses were in Mexico.(The horses had to be tested for the ability to jump, and if they weren't jumpers, they were auctioned.)
     Anyway, the people in my office on my retirement, gave me the framed citation (part of which is shown above), and the bottom part reads: 'The Dog That would not Die.'
jl

No comments:

Post a Comment