Eli and Sophia

Monday, September 26, 2011

JL's Appreciation for a Few Old Things



     These nights which are kind of between the high heat of summer, and the more moderate temperatures of autumn & fall, a single sheet on the bed is not quite enough for me. So.... I dig into the linen closet and pull out my 55 (or some odd) year old car blanket which provides just the right amount of warmth (it looks more than a little bit raggedy, but I still love it)! It is a leopard spots design and came from, where else, the Western Auto Store in Florence, about the time I bought my first car (with a 'mortgage' from Dad) at age 15. That  car was a 1947 Plymouth (with re-built engine) which we bought from a widow (or divorcee) across the street in Florence for $175. I was 15, so it would have been 1955. I sold it as a senior in college (when I knew I was going to Germany in the Army), for $125, and bought a 1958 Chevy to take overseas.
     The 'camp ax' which we use while traveling, is an antique “Plumb” brand which I probably found at a flea market or yard sale, and into which I installed a new handle. Were it not for the angle designed for splitting wood, it could be honed sharp enough to shave with.
     At an antique shop on the shore of one of the great lakes in northern New York state, I purchased the metal part of what out west is called a Pee-Vee (here it's called a Cant Hook). A friend (& neighbor) 'whittled' a 5' handle for it, and it has been used to turn countless logs in the process of making firewood.

     My now 42-year old Chevrolet pickup has hauled countless loads of future firewood, and many loads of horse manure for the garden. One of 500 4-wheel drives made that year (1969), she enjoys the one or two 6 – 10” snows each winter when we can 'break trail' for friends in two or three neighborhoods.

     Enough for now....have to walk the dog....will talk about antique furniture another time!
jl (Jon Logan - Johnnie's son)

No comments:

Post a Comment