Eli and Sophia

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hairheads

Who? Me? Sandy?Tina?

Sue and Sandy
We have been through some wild and crazy styles, including our hair.  When I was a preschooler, and a few years after, Milly kept trying to coax a few curls into my stick-straight hair.  Sylvia tried to teach Milly  French braiding, but Milly grew impatient only shortly after I did. "Richard Hudnet" and "Toni" made home permanents for children, but they seemed to take hours to apply. the ideal was the little blonde girl on the William's Bread package:  her blonde curls were swept up into a crown at the top of her head. But ultimately,  curls were as elusive as sliced white bread, in our household. Then I tried the "Light n' Bright" to retain my natural blonde, but nothing took.  Eventually, I felt like Bozo:  I had fuzzy curls, but the fast-growing roots of my hair made the perms stick straight out at the sides and lie straight across the top.  I went straight, but long, but then I met Jerry, and did a lot of scuba diving.  I couldn't come out of the water without having my hair tied in knots, so I had it all cut off.  "Are you going to cry? Is somebody going to get mad at me if I do this?" the beautician asked. For the next 10 years or so, I kept it short, undyed, and straight.  Now, it's growing out, light brown with gray easy to detect, and still as straight as a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment